Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sugar Creek, MO Contest

Last weekend we traveled to Sugar Creek, MO (part of Kansas City, MO) with 50 other teams for their 6th annual contest.

I knew that I could not leave the restaurant till about 1:00, but it ended up being 2:00 pm before I got out of town. Then with the tremendous wind blowing out of the South, I had to slow down to at least the posted speed on I70. Then of course I hit Friday rush hour traffic on the toll road at Topeka, and then traffic backup on the east side of KC and traffic back up for the Royals game. With all of that I did not pull into the contest site until 6:45.

I do appreciate the event staff at Sugar Creek. I told them I would be late getting in and they were ready for me. I was parked, had meat inspected and meat prep started by 7:00 pm. I asked Doug about getting boxes and away he went on the golf cart and came back with my boxes for me. What a great job Doug did!

The main thing I do not like about getting into a contest that late is not being able to visit with all of our BBQ buddies. When I go east to contests, I don't know as many of the teams so I like to have a little time to visit and meet some new BBQ Friends, just don't have enough time to get that done when we get there that late.

I did enjoy Don and Sharron Will of Smokers Wild coming over on Saturday morning. They weren't cooking anywhere so they just came to hang out and help out.

Thanks to Brent Wilson for running boxes for me. Brent is a great kid, well adult now, and I appreciate his efforts because that was a steep hill up to the turn in area.

We placed 9th in Chicken, 15th in Ribs, 1st in Pork, 2nd in Brisket, and 3rd Overall and a 5th place in dessert. Out of 6 contests so far this year we have 1 reserve and 3 - 3rd place finishes.

Congrats to Rod and Sherry of Pellet Envy who were Grand Champions and All American BBQ as Reserve Champions.

No comments:

Post a Comment